You have always had a way with people. You know what makes them tick, you can tease out their hearts’ desires after a few minutes of conversation, and with a few leading questions you can read them like they were children’s books.
It’s a useful talent, and one that you’re perfectly willing to use for your advantage.
Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Sleight of hand Tool Proficiencies: Disguise kit, forgery kit.
Equipment: A set of fine clothes, disguise kit, tools of the con of your choice (ten stoppered bottles filled with colored liquid, a set of weighted dice, a deck of marked cards, or a signet ring of an imaginary duke), and a belt pouch containing 15 gp.
Every charlatan has an angle he or sheuses in preference to other schemes. Choose a favorite scam or roll on the table below.
1. I cheat at games of chance.
2. I shave coins or forge documents.
3. I insinuate myself into people’s lives
to prey on their weakness and secure
4. I put on new identities like clothes.
5. I run sleight-of-hand cons on street
6. I convince people that worthless junk
is worth their hard-earned money.
Feature: False Identity
You have created a second identity that includes documentation, established acquaintances, and disguises that allow you to assume that persona.
Additionally, you can forge documents including official papers and personal letters, as long as you have seen an example of the kind of document or the handwriting you are trying to copy.
Charlatans are colorful characters who conceal their true selves behind the masks they construct.
They reflect what people want to see, what they want to believe, and how they see the world.
But their true selves are sometimes plagued
by an uneasy conscience, an old enemy, or deep-seated trust issues.
1. I fall in and out of love easily, and am
always pursuing someone.
2. I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.
3. Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
4 I’m a born gambler who can’t resist
taking a risk for a potential payoff.
5. I lie about almost everything, even
when there’s no good reason to.
6.Sarcasm and insults are my weapons
7. I keep multiple holy symbols on me
and invoke whatever deity might come in useful at any given moment.
8. I pocket anything I see that might
have some value.
1.Independence. I am a free spirit— no
one tells me what to do. (Chaotic)
2.Fairness. I never target people who
can’t afford to lose a few coins(Lawful)
3. Charity. I distribute the money I
acquire to the people who really need it.
4. Creativity. I never run the same con
5. Friendship. Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever. (Good)
6. Aspiration. I’m determined to make
something of myself.
1. I fleeced the wrong person and must
work to ensure that this individual never
crosses paths with me or those I care
2. I owe everything to my mentor— a
horrible person who’s probably rotting in jail somewhere.
3.Somewhere out there, I have a child who doesn’t know me. I’m making the
world better for him or her.
4. I come from a noble family, and one
day I’ll reclaim my lands and title from
those who stole them from me.
5. A powerful person killed someone I
love. Some day soon, I’ll have my
6. I swindled and ruined a person who
didn’t deserve it. I seek to atone for my misdeeds but might never be able to forgive myself.
1. I can’t resist a pretty face.
2. I’m always in debt. I spend my
ill-gotten gains on decadent luxuries
faster than I bring them in.
3. I’m convinced that no one could ever
fool me the way I fool others.
4. I’m too greedy for my own good. I can’t resist taking a risk if there’s money
5. I can’t resist swindling people who are
more powerful than me.
6. I hate to admit it and will hate myself for it, but I’ll run and preserve my own hide if the going gets tough.